Monday, October 16, 2006

Good news from Thailand and Miscellany


Last week that I made a call to the Thai Embassy in Washington and received some very good news.

I will not be required to put 38.000USD into a Thai bank to get a retirement visa. All I must do is prove that I have a monthly income of more than $801.00. One who applies must be able to do one or the other - not both.

I qualify.

Here's the only hold-up now. One must be 60 years old.

I ain't there yet.

That will require some thought. Given the fact that there are laws in place to stop visa running, I will have to investigate other possibilities and continue calling the Embassy periodically until I get a very clear plan.

~*~*~

I wanted to mention a good blog entry I ran across this morning in my daily meanderings through cyberspace.

http://doodeesthailand.blogspot.com/

He writes so well on the topic of nam ji. The guy is an amazing writer and brings the things I love so much about Thailand to life!


~*~*~

Today while doing my morning shopping and walking, I met a very nice man at my cell phone provider's store. I was there to buy a new battery since mine will only hold a few hours before going dead. This guy came in and asked the vendor if he would be able to trace a cell phone he'd found in a restaurant. It was one of the new expensive razor phones. The person who lost the phone had already had the SIM card blocked so there was no way to call any of his contacts and report where the phone will be located.

The man had been to a few different places already and hit brick walls. Still, he said, "this is obviously a very expensive phone and I'm sure someone is missing it."

Nam ji in action. It was heartening to see someone willing to go to so much trouble to help another person he doesn't know. He was doing it because it is the right thing to do and he had no interest in praise or thanks.

He needs to be cloned.

~*~*~

If you see the banner along the left side of this blog, you'll notice that I have decided to participate in NaBloPoMo, daily blogging for the month of November. I got the idea from Meno's Blog (see my blog roll) and tracked back to the originator http://www.fussy.org/ where it is being sponsored. If you would like to participate, click on the Fussy link. Now I just hope I can possibly think of something to talk about for 30 days in a row! That should interesting. If nothing else, it will certainly generate some boring posts. Have trouble sleeping? Visit the blog of Thailand Gal! It's a better soporific than pills or booze and you won't have a hangover. :)

~*~*~

Today has been a bit busier than my usual days. It's time for a relaxing evening in front of the TV. Rarely do I watch TV outside of a few favorites but, let's face it, sometimes it is a worthy activity! :) There's just nothing quite so relaxing in the same way as getting passively lost in a story for an hour or two. Let's hear it for escapism!

So, it will be a few hours of Law and Order. Then sleep should come quickly!


May all have a pleasant evening ~


Thailand Gal

~*~*~*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Thailand gal,
I currently have a retirement visa which I have extend for 3 years now from Thailand and you don't have to be 60 years old, only 50. If you need more details on the process I went through, just PM me. Sawadee

thailandchani said...

Thank you, Sevenwinds. I now have three peices of information. The Embassy website says "55". The person I spoke with on the phone said "60". I like yours best. :)

I'll check into it more and see if there's a consensus.


Thailand Gal

~*~*~*

meno said...

i am wondering about the logic behind the being 60 rule. Or is there any?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
thailandchani said...

Meno, I don't believe there is any logic to it. Since when has any government been logical? :) Perhaps that qualifies as an oxymoron.

:)


Thailand Gal

~*~*~*~