Monday, April 20, 2009

And So It Goes On and On....


Today was the first hot day of the season here and I am just plain miserable! The older I get, the less I like being hot.

Anyway, I haven't been around here much since the accident because there's been a lot happening around me. I'm not sure how many of you might have to take care of an older person but it can be a challenge.

My housemate, which I may or may not have mentioned, is quite a bit older than me. By 26 years. Naturally, she is having more health issues as she gets older. She has three ungrateful children who can't seem to take time away from their busy lives to take care of her. Yesterday we spent at Urgent Care because she was having severe back pain. Today, we were at the clinic to see a doctor to confirm or change the diagnosis at Urgent Care. It was a day full of x-rays, waiting around for results and finally getting a treatment plan. Just like me, she's very sensitive to drugs so planning the distribution of medications is time-consuming. I have to pay very close attention to her reactions. I report to her doctor.

This is not something I'd ever planned on in my lifetime. At the same time, I don't feel like I can ignore it. Someone has to step up to the plate and since her kids won't, I'm the only one available.

I'm also still car-hunting. Granted, I'm picky.. but I'm not going to take on someone else's problems and it doesn't matter if it takes me three months. I use my housemate's car.. which I prefer anyway. She does have a very nice car... an Infiniti. I love driving it but now I'm spoiled for anything I can afford!

So if it seems like I'm more absent than usual, that's why. I do miss reading all my favorite sites but I'm so exhausted that I can barely put any energy into anything.

But I'll be back. It will probably be another few weeks. Hopefully by then, she'll be stabilized, I'll have the car thing handled and some of my own energy will return.

The energy part might be wishful thinking. I'm no spring chicken myself!

Be well!



~*

18 comments:

meno said...

She's lucky to have you.

Carla said...

You have an exceptionally caring spirit. Your housemate is very lucky to have you around to fill the void her family has left. May you be blessed.

molly said...

It is exhausting watching out for an older person! Not only do they have physical, hearing,[eh?] and getting-around problems, you also have the memory issues, what my husband calls the CRS syndrome [of course i suffer from that myself!] Your housemate is lucky to have someone like you in her life since her own kids dropped the ball! Just remember---what goes around comes around....

Anonymous said...

and that is the definition of "mitzvah"

Cecilio Morales said...

I strongly advise trying Carmax. I had a great experience. They make the whole process easy and you can get some serious deals if you use their Web site.

Mariposa said...

She is blessed to have you and bless you for being so kind to her. :)

Wish you all the best, from your car deals to your health!

LittlePea said...

Ditto! She's so lucky to have you and I hope she knows it. Good luck on the car search....I was wondering how that was going. Take all the time you need, we'll still be here :O)

Leann said...

It is quite exhausting to take care of someone Chani. It is truly a shame that those who should take care of her choose not to.

I am the same way with the warm weather. The older I get the less well I tolerate it.

hele said...

sending lots of cool thoughts. its chilly here today.

and lots of love too*

Ian Lidster said...

Will look forward to future visits. Be good to yourself.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Take very good care of yourself. What you're doing is exhausting.

Woman in a Window said...

Yes, just what Meno said, she's lucky to have you.

Be well and don't forget to treat yourself to some soulful wandering...when it's cool. (I'm not a fan of the sweat either.)

S said...

You are a good person, C. Don't ever forget it.

Anonymous said...

That does sound exhausting.

(The older I get, the more I crave hot weather.)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

You may not be a spring chicken, but you more than make up in devotion what you lack in energy.

I find it exhausting just taking care of ME these days. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, poor you. I do hope she gets better soon.

Make sure you take care of yourself. We must always put ourselves first, because it is the only way to live life. We are no use to anyone if we don't take care of ourselves as well. I know people say the opposite - but on a practical level it is rarely true. You serve others better by ensuring your meet your own needs first and have the energy to help with theirs next.

Angela said...

How lucky your housemate is to live with such a caring person, Chani. And I don't blame you; I'd drive the Infiniti as long as I could, too. :) Take care.

painted maypole said...

i've been so sporadic online myself. I know this.

you be well, too!