Thursday, January 03, 2008

A Taste of Honey...


I am thinking about taking a restorative trip to Thailand. More and more, I am feeling the need to touch base there, to feel connected again, to get a break from the things that are difficult for me here.

The thing is that I will have to put it on a credit card. Then I will have to at least pay some of it off before leaving permanently.

One person says it sounds like a good idea. Another says it will just make it twice as hard to come back. There are elements of truth in both views.

I will come back because my integrity matters and there are things to finish up here. It won't be easy or pleasant but my personal honor matters too much to leave loose ends here.

On the other hand, it will take every ounce of determination to get on the return flight.

So what do you think? Is a taste of honey worse than none at all?

~*

35 comments:

slouching mom said...

Oh, I think you're strong enough to come back if you need to.

So I say: go!

Anvilcloud said...

Sounds like a very good idea to me. Maybe you should have one more experience with the place before you go for good. I know that you feel sure already, but maybe this will make you much more surerer. :)

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

I think one question would be how long before you can actually move there? If this postpones your ultimate goal and that goal is less than six months away, then you may want to be patient, but if your move there is in no set future, then it would seem that you and Thailand need each other now. I hope your heart shows you the way.

anne said...

I think I agree with jen in that the timetable of the ultimate goal would be the determining factor for me. If it is within reach and the short trip would push back, I would wait.

On the other hand, maybe a "yes" is in order.

Rima said...

Oh, that's a tough one, Chani. About how much would it set you back? I agree with Slouching Mom that you are strong enough to return, I'm just wondering if it wouldn't make the interim time (before you can move permanently) even harder for you to bear? Although I suppose that's the entire reason you are yearning for the restorative trip. Ack! I'm inclined to say wait until it's financially feasible, but then again I hate putting anything on credit. Go with your gut. Your gut is telling you "yes," right?

jen said...

YES!!!! because the jar will still be there when you are ready!

go east, sister...go east!

flutter said...

Go.

Julie Pippert said...

It's a tough call because I am not you. :)

For me, it would be good.

It would remind em this is not a dream and would reaffirm that all I am working and planning for is right, for this Place.

liv said...

I say run like hell to the airport. Just go. Really? Who knows what's coming next? And I have one other thing that I keep hearing:

YES!

painted maypole said...

oh ack. hard question. but i lean towards GO. Taste a little honey. And come back to tell us about it. :)

Liz said...

The practical side of me agrees with Jen but the dreamer in me says to go.

tutekx said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa said...

I agree with some other readers regarding the balance of how much it will set you back in terms of reaching your ultimate goal.

If you're just a few months off now, and making this trip will give you debt which you need to sort out before you leave, is it really worth it?

But then again, I'm very anti-credit, so I'm a bit biased. :-)

ThomasLB said...

If a vacation will delay your permenant move, then I'd advise against it.

One other option: can you bring your Thai friend here? If he saw your world, maybe his perspective could help you manage it more enjoyably.

Dandelion seeds said...

I think it depends on the person. Me, it might be worth it to wait until I could move there permanently...but I have a tendency to get in an all or nothing mindset. Not everyone is like that though.

regardless your decision-I wish you happiness and peace with it!

Susanne said...

Feels right even if it might not be financially prudent. You will know what to do.

Is there a way to speed up your move?

Jodi said...

you should go. if you need that restorative trip now, you need it.

maybe there is something there that you need that you can't get unless you go.

Sober Briquette said...

I agree with going if it will indeed be restorative and not make the next interval here in the US harder.

gumdropsandbubblethoughts said...

Hello, Chani! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Sorry if I haven't been able to visit you for quite some time, hope all is well.

Anyway, I think you should go because you will never know the answer unless you find it out yourself.

storyteller said...

Listen to your heart ... trust your gut!
Hugs and blessings,

Z said...

If it were me, I'd go. But just for a couple of weeks, because if I stayed for too long it would be so hard to leave.

QT said...

Go, go, go - by all means possible, go! That taste may be the thing that carries you through the next several months, or however long it takes before you move there.

And in case you have any doubts, using the card is called "leveraging assets" ;) - as long as it isn't at 20%, do it.

Mariposa said...

I hear you...what a choice to make. I have tried postponing something for greater glory, yet, it still took me a LONG time to get there...so the "selfish" me will tell you go for that restorative trip...it may post some challenges but I'm sure it will be all worth it!

Btw, please check my site when you can, I have something for you there!

meno said...

How's the voting going?

I say get the hell on that plane.

realitytesting said...

Hmmm....if it would delay your ability to go permanently, then I would hold off. Barring that, I would go. But I am not you, Chani. I never travel...yet. I will. So an opportunity like that would be mindblowing for me.

I also like the idea of bringing your friend here.

And I love Barbara Kingsolver btw...that was a typo from the old cut and paste routine. In fact, The Poisonwood Bible is quite honestly my most favorite book. True!

Janet said...

I say go and, hopefully, the restorative benefits will leave you that much stronger to tie up the loose ends.

Ian Lidster said...

Follow your heart, dear friend. It will tell you what's right -- as you already know.

ewe are here said...

If it doesn't delay your ultimate move, then I'd vote for going. If it does, you have to weigh out how you'll feel about staying where you are even longer.

My Reflecting Pool said...

a taste is always the first step in ruining a good diet. When you do it, do it right, no regrets. Of course only you can determine the answer to your question though. Gosh this sounds like a lame fortune cookie answer. Sorry.

Amy Y said...

Somehow, I think you probably already know what you need to do.

Have a great trip :)

wheelsonthebus said...

Hate to be the dissenter here, but I think going would be a mistake. I do think you'd come back, but then you'd have to wait longer to make the permanent move because you'd have to pay off the trip. I am all about delayed gratififcation.

Emily

MsLittlePea said...

I say go. It might be restorative. And you'll be even more determined to continue with your future plans.

niobe said...

It sounds like you want to go and, mostly, I agree with what others have said, that it would be a good thing. The only worry I would have in your place (and, of course, your concerns may be different) is how long it would take me to pay off the cc debt, how much interest I would end up paying, and whether it would be possible to finance at least some portion of the trip through savings.

blooming desertpea said...

The taste of honey might motivate you to do what you have to do with more energy.

Anonymous said...

I'd say go!
But to put it on a credit card?? Then you can't afford to go- maybe- work and save up!