Monday, April 21, 2008

Top 40: All the stuff you never wanted to know...


I brazenly stole this from Ian's site before realizing that he offered it, free for the taking. I offer the same to anyone reading here.

It seems safe enough to do this sort of thing again since some new readers have come and a lot of the older ones have moved on. The last thing I want to do is bore everyone into a coma.... but this one is actually kind of interesting.

So... here it is!

1. What I was doing ten years ago:

- Moving to Sacramento from Tucson

- Beginning a serious study of Buddhism

- Working at a corporate job I despised


2. Five things on my to-do list:

- Call Berkeley about housing options

- Finish up my laundry

- Spend the afternoon reading

- Go to Target to pick up medicine for D

- Make a Chef's salad for dinner


3. Places I have traveled:

- Hawaii

- Thailand

- Europe

- Israel

- the US and Canada


4. Five snacks I enjoy:

- Popcorn (butter and salt, please)

- Rice cakes

- Dried mango

- Dried papaya

- Diet Coke


5. Things I would do if I was a billionaire:

- Create a trust with a reliable investment firm

- Make a list of my truly good friends, the ones who are dependable and kind, noting the things they need to be safe and secure through this lifetime.

- Send a monthly check (or direct deposit, if they choose) to them through the trust. No good friend of mine would ever have to suffer financial insecurity again.

- Support my wat (temple)

- Hire Charles Eisenstein to be my private tutor. I think the man is brilliant

- Choose one major community project per year (in Thailand) and support it

- Support my family in Thailand


6. Five of my bad habits:

- Procrastination

- I can be a bit controlling

- Being stubborn

- Not letting go of things when I should

- Overeating


7. Five places I have lived:

- Tucson

- Baltimore

- Fort Collins, (CO)

- Khon Kaen

- Los Angeles


8. Five jobs I've had:

- Unix system administrator

- Technical Support

- Computer Operator

- Software Technician

- Data entry operator (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.)


Your turn! Let me know if you do it so that I can come by and read your answers. :)

~*

17 comments:

Girlplustwo said...

ah. i love this. the places you've been, i love hearing other's travels.

oh, and ten years ago i was just finishing graduate school about to embark on a career in homeless shelters not knowing at all how much my life would change!

Angela said...

I'm stealing this one, Chani. I love it. And do you know what is so cool? When I read your responses, I was not surprised by a one of them....your readers are able to come to know you that nicely through your words.

painted maypole said...

you were just beginning your study of Buddhism 10 years ago. interesting...

Anonymous said...

Baltimore, huh? Oh girl, you've just *got* to tell me when...and why. (LOL!)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I enjoyed reading this but really can't claim to be surprised by any of it.

There must be a way to get Charles Eisenstein to by your personal tutor. I'm sure he would enjoy it, too.

Olivia said...

Hi, Chani, I'm here and I'm listening!!!

You could take Charles Eisenstein's next online class, which I'm going to do too. I don't know when it is but I'm taking it. The class I took with him had 3 PEOPLE in it, so it was almost like private tutoring...but not quite. I'd hire him, too---full time---to tutor me and pay him to spread his teachings and write as well.

Hey, look at all of these wonderful comments!!

xxoo,

O

Gill said...

Chani
Hello! I am still working out the kinks with my email. IT should be resolved today. If you still want my help with your banner after my email is fixed, I'd be more than happy to help.
thanks!
(If you have a flickr account, we can always communicate that way, and then you could direct me to images or an image you would like to use.)
xo

Julie Pippert said...

So it all started, more or less, ten years ago. That's new to me so see...good even for oldies but goodies.

And look at all the places you've been.

I might take this up. I'm noncommital though because as much as I'd like to do it, I'm not putting as much into my personal blog. Time constraints.

I've had to cut back the blogging stuff.

But it's a cool meme. I saw Angela did it too!

S said...

it's lovely, what you'd do for your friends.

we_be_toys said...

I love that you would take care of your friends and wat if you had a billion dollars, but they are already rich, in your friendship!

I want to know about when you lived in Baltimore - I always had you figured for a West Coast girl!

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

As a new reader this was great "get to know you stuff".

I may just use this myself, as I am currently without inspiration. (But later this evening, because if I write at work they will fire me. Corporate bastards! )

Jen said...

Thanks for a glimpse in your window, Chani!

I do plan to do this one, but I have a few entries I want to write first. I'm finishing up my school year and I want to be there for my students right now, so my blogging is slowing at the moment.

thailandchani said...

Jen, in what way do you think it changed most significantly?

~*

Angela, I'm glad you stole it. Your answers were very interesting. :)

~*

PM, I'd kind of been on the periphery of it for many years but it often got pushed to the side for other things. I couldn't reconcile my cultural dissidence (which is based on anger) with it, giving up that passion. I still struggle with that.

~*

Wendy, it wasn't one of my wiser decisions. It was a year in hell camp.

~*

Susan, Eisenstein manages to say all the things I wish I could say - but my thinking isn't as organized. I'm too tangential. Perhaps he could discipline my thinking a bit. :)

~*

Olivia, I'll definitely be checking out his on-line class. I'd love to do that!

~*

Gillian, thanks. :) I don't have a flicker account but I will definitely try you again in a few days. Hopefully your email will be fixed by then.

~*

Julie, it started many, many years ago but it was rather directionless, if you know what I mean.

~*

Sarah, loyalty counts for a lot with me. I never forget what others do for me.. and I always pay it back when I can.

~*

We_Be, you would be correct. I am a west coast girl.. raised in Los Angeles. Baltimore was one of those weird blips on my radar screen. I didn't care for it much.

~*

Chanda, so *amen* on the corporate bastards. :) Let me know if you decide to do it.. or I'll just keep checking for a while.

~*

Jen, got you :)

~*

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Wow, I so love this post!!! I will do this tomorrow...and I enjoyed your answers...we have some things in common...you will know them once I make my post...LOL

Miss yah!

P.S. I can send you driend mangoes if you want!

Catherine said...

How fun! I like these things when you actually learn fun things about the person...thanks!

thailandchani said...

Mariposa, okay.. let me know. I'd lik e to see your answers. :)

~*

Catherine, it is an interesting diversion occasionally :)

~*

Ian Lidster said...

I missed this when I visited your blog yesterday. Apologies. Fascinating to learn more about you and your attitudes to the outer world. Consistently I like what I read.