Friday, September 29, 2006

Hellhouse and Beyond....

Today did not turn out to be "full Thailand mode" after all.

A few hours after I wrote my morning post, fully intending to disappear into Thailand-LaLaLand, we got word that V. bolted from rehab. For a while, we had no idea where he might be. Che had instructed us to not let him back in the house and we intended to follow that instruction.

Things don't always work out as we plan.

D. and I were talking in the back yard when the doorbell rang. I went to answer it and, sure enough, it was V. We had locked all the doors and gates. He was unable to get in on his own. We'd made it impossible for him to get any money. All of his credit cards are frozen, his bank account and so on. Needless to say, it was awkward. I'm not the sort of person who is comfortable with toughness. There is enough toughness in the world without my contribution. I couldn't turn him away. We let him into the house. Of course, he was initially angry about what we'd done and I apologized to him for following Che's instructions without critical thought and without consideration of V's position. We called Che, told him what had happened and he will be here later tonight.

V. had quite a tantrum, told us he was leaving, moving out on Sunday and an assortment of other unpleasant statements. The truth is that we want him to stay but we want him well.

V. went on to tell us that the detox center where he'd been taken was "full of bums" and that they did absolutely nothing to help him. He sat around all day, watching TV and talking with people who couldn't even hold an intelligent conversation. I do understand his frustration with that.

We're not sure what will happen now until Che comes over and talks with all of us, including V.

The stress of this hit me and it hit hard. I have been physically ill and emotionally drained all afternoon and evening. If I am up until 9.00 PM, it will be a miracle. I'm exhausted.

So.. it's been a rough day. Tomorrow, of course, is another day. Things will look differently after some rest and quiet time.

The thing I am most grateful for are the friends who surround me. I am especially grateful to CJ, my old friend and another ex-drunk, who called and knew I was in trouble before I even realized it. The gift of such friends is something I never thought was possible.

Thank you, CJ. Now I remember why I adopted you. :)

May all have a peaceful evening ~


Thailand Gal
~*~*~*

No comments: