Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Just another day in paradise....



Today has been relaxing so far. I took off early this morning for a long walk to get away from the "V. drama" that has taken over once more. (You can't imagine how much better it was around here during the week he was gone.)

Anyway, I am starting to get notices for all the goods I ordered from eBay. One of the sellers I prefer sends everything registered. That means a walk to the post office to pick up the packages. I am usually away or busy when the post person comes so I get "the little yellow slips". Lots of little yellow slips. They trickle in for a few weeks when I order as much as I did several days ago.

So, Shanti and I walked the mile to the post office, then headed to a park further away. I sat on the grass reading while Shanti ran and played in open spaces. (Her leash will allow 30 feet if I release it -- which I did.) After an hour so of that, it was time for the trek home. Of course, there are always dozens of things to distract me so we walked up one street, down another, got some water at a little cafe and finally went into Target to pick up some yogurt and buy two beef hot dogs. No kidding, all. If you go to Target, try the beef hot dogs. They're very good and, at least for me, they fill me up for the rest of the day. Then we came back home. According to my pedometer, I walked over 5 miles, much of it with Shanti in my arms and my bag bulging at my side with so much "stuff". She simply can't walk such distances without huffing and puffing, even when we stop for water and rest. She is very small so it's really not surprising. Next time, I'll get a bigger dog.

It is difficult for me to explain how much being out in the sun is bothersome. Don't get me wrong. I love my long walks but for some reason, my body really reacts poorly to bright sunshine. Filtered sunshine is okay. Shade is okay. Bright sun is deadly. I begin to feel woozy and a bit disoriented. No logical reason. It is just a quirk of my body. It also may be a result of being half-blind. It does affect my balance. At any rate, it is what it is.

Those who like Thailand Gal in full regalia would have loved me this morning. I finally gave in and have begun using an umbrella. If it keeps me from feeling bad in the sun, I'll just do it, even if I do look a bit strange. Good thing I have good friends who think my eccentricities are "cute".

This morning, I bought John Grisham's new book, "The Innocent Man". Ordinarily, I don't care much for Grisham. He's rather forumulaic and I can predict the outcome too soon. This is his first non-fiction book about an innocent man who is convicted of murder and sent to death row. I'll let everyone know how it is in the next day or so.

For now, I'm going to go sit in the garden, listen to some mor lam music and begin reading. I should come up for air in the next day or two. I'll give a V. update for the ex-drunks who want to know in my next entry. I am ignoring him today.

Hope all have a wonderful and peaceful day ~


Thailand Gal

~*~*~*~

No comments: